This is a little lesson that could be tagged onto an IELTS lesson or used in the EAP classroom.
Its aim is just to raise awareness of writing style while also giving a some opportunity for some writing practice.
The lesson is on powerpoint, as well as having a worksheet. However, in the spirit of materials light teaching, if you have the ability to use the powerpoint, you probably won’t need the worksheet, unless you want them to have it as a record.
Level: IELTS / EAP / Upper Intermediate / Advanced
Aim: To raise awareness of academic style
Time: 45mins – 1hr
All of the answers for this, apart from the students rewriting answers are on the powerpoint. So it is handy if you can show it.
Ask the students to look at the cloud and decide what is normally a feature of academic writing.
- Ask the students to examine the sentence, highlighting where the sentence is not academic. Ask them to focus on:
vague language subjective language informal vocabulary
2. Ask the students to rewrite it and improve it. Board examples and briefly highlight the improved features.
3. Ask them to look at the longer example and highlight what is wrong. Then focus them on the questions. (In the powerpoint this is done step by step with highlighted examples)
The seal is there as that is Paro – the robot discussed in the paragraph, you could do prediction work based on the picture, or leave it there for decoration. Here is a video showing it. If you wanted to go further.
4. Board good examples or get them to peer correct for some variety.
Follow up / Reflection:
Ask students to look at some of their recent writing and ask them to critique it, bringing in an example paragraph with corrections for the next class.
- PPT: Powerpoint
- Word: Academic Style Word
- PDF: Academic Style PDF