This is to be part 1 of a 2 part series focusing on the bits of the newspaper we throw away. A lot of our lessons on this blog and the lessons we do in class use articles as the basis for the lesson. But what about the rest of the paper?
We want to encourage our students to be fully-functioning autonomous machines out in the real world, constantly analysing the English around them, learning new words and structures and reconfirming what they have learnt before. One way to do this is to help them find what they should be analysing in the first place.
This first lesson looks at an advertisement for a film. It’s a film I haven’t seen a to be honest I have absolutely no intention of seeing ever…but that doesn’t matter. Check out the lesson and let me know how it goes.
Level: Intermediate and above (although low-ints might need some help with some of the questions on the worksheet. A lot of ICQs and CCQs please!)
Time: 1 – 2 hours (depending on discussion times and follow-up activities)
- to encourage sts to notice and analyse the language in the world around them.
- To gather vocab on dating
- Picture: how to be single Advertisement
- Worksheet: How to be Single worksheet (word)
- Worksheet: How to be Single worksheet PDF
- Teachers’ Answers: How to be Single teachers’ answers
This is quite a straight forward lesson. The worksheet takes you through it nice and easily. I think the only part that might need to be commented on is the final part, the reflection. The idea here it to get them thinking about the English that surrounds them. Even if you don’t live in an English speaking country, the Internet is at your disposal and by driving them to sites like IMDB.com, you can help them to see this.
Possible Follow-up Activities:
- students write their own tweets about bad dates (real or imaginary) and either put them up around the room for correction or tweet them using the hashtag at the bottom of the ad.
- Students look up new films in groups on IMDB and summarise them to their partners.
- Students set up a class online dating profile and send comments to people.